VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2008

From:
Rose Compton <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 17:39:56 EDT
I totally agree with all of you in that if you have access to the  actual
records from the area, that is where you should be searching. If, on the  other
hand, like me; you do NOT live any where near the area that you need to
search, then Ancestry.com is a must. In my case I live 950+ miles from the area
that I need to search so Ancestry has been very valuable. I find the records and
page numbers there that I need and when I do get to go home, don't spend
unnecessary time searching records that I can already have searched  from  home.
In my case, I only have a limited amount of time to spend in the actual  area
and then must also allow time to be with my family as well. As I said, Very
limited time for searching.
    If you live in the area or within close proximity to the  area, the
records you find there will be so much better than what I can  find online. The
free sites are good, but I have found more at ancestry than at  all the free
sites combined. Being that I MUST search via the Internet, I use  ALL the sites
available. The free as well as the 1 I pay for. (Ancestry). I know  that with
out ancestry.com,  I'd have no where near the amount of data  that I have now.
   I think it remains up the individual doing the search. If I  had a chance
to do a more hands-on actual search at the area Court House, you  can bet I'd
be there doing that as well as the online searching..

Rose Compton

If you feel comfortable with Ancestry.com, by all means use it.

My  concern is not for such as you.  It is for the inexperienced folks who  -
by the millions - are coming to believe that they can use only the  online
sources for research and thereby will gain all they will ever want to  know.
In fact, it is written over and over that less than 5% of the  research
materials available to us will be found on the net NOW.

That will improve as years pass, as we all know.  BUT, for now,  such as that
pay-for site are simply more tools by which speed is attained  and depth of
sources sacrificed.
Have a good week.

Paul

Well said Paul.

I have had contact with lots of folks who believe  they can sit at a computer
and with a few strokes of the keyboard know  everything there is to know
about their family history.

It takes  years of research.

Phebe Morgan
Sarasota,  FL