VA-ROOTS Archives

May 2008

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 May 2008 12:42:44 -0500
Hi, Carolyn.

If you feel comfortable with Ancestry.com, by all means use it.

My concern is not for such as you.  It is for the inexperienced folks who -
by the millions - are coming to believe that they can use only the online
sources for research and thereby will gain all they will ever want to know.
In fact, it is written over and over that less than 5% of the research
materials available to us will be found on the net NOW.

That will improve as years pass, as we all know.  BUT, for now, such as that
pay-for site are simply more tools by which speed is attained and depth of
sources sacrificed.

To me, use of free and pay-for net tools is akin to opening the back door
and shooting at the woods; do that enough times and you may - MAY - bag
breakfast.  Still, if you are hungry you will do much better by walking to
that same woods and looking for whatever game is there.  Local records are
that woods; the net is the back door shot.

Have a good week.

Paul