VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2008

Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 12:20:17 -0500
We've been looking for the parents of Benjamin Wilson, who had died by
1831, when his family lived in Wilson Co., TN.  He had sons James (b 1810
in VA), Benjamin (b. 1811 in VA), and John, and daughters Nancy Jane,
Mary Ann (b. ~1814 in VA) and Elizabeth.  Elizabeth WILSON, presumably
his wife, was named guardian of his minor children.  We figure he was
born about 1785 in VA.

Can anyone prove or disprove that this is the Benjamin WILSON named in
the following will of John WILSON dated 1809 in Brunswick Co., VA?

Will Book 7, Brunswick County, VA:
Will of John WILSON   13 Jan 1809   25 Sep 1809
"sick in body"
To my daughter Betsey LATIMORE
To my daughter Nancy RAINEY
To my son Benjamin WILSON
To my daughter Winifred WYNNE
To my son Andrew L. WILSON
To my daughter Sally B. KELLEY
To my daughter Polley H. LANIER
To my son John WILSON
To my 2 granddaughters  Betsey F. ROPER & Polly ROPER
To my 3 grandchildren Nancy READ, Sally READ & William READ
To my wife Ruth
To my son-in-law John READ
Ex:  my friend James QUARLES, Sr, Grief TALLEY
Wit:  Thomas MITCHELL, Thomas JUDD, James FISHER, Sr.

These are are notes checking for other members of this family.

1810 Census, Brunswick Co., VA, St. Andrews, image 37 or 39
Wilson, John 00010 / 11020 // 05

Adjacent counties: west Mecklenburg, and north of there, Lunenburg
North: Nottoway and Dinwiddie
East:  Greensville  (Greensville was probably part of Surry and Isle of
Wight counties in this time frame)
Parishes: Meherrin and Saint Andrew's

1810 Census, Dinwiddie Co., VA,
Wilson, Benj'm  10001 / 10000 / 02?

No Andrew Wilson listed in census in area.

We tabulated all the Wilson/WILLSON's in the 1820 census in VA looking
for Benjamin's family.  We checked all electronically available marriage
records looking for a marriage of Benjamin WILSON to Elizabeth.  There
was 1 in or near Bedford Co., VA.  We checked all the available books of
1815 landowners in VA.

We checked rootsweb world connect to see if any of the heirs named in
this will were listed there.  One appeared to be, Winifred WILSON WYNNE,
although no one had identified her parents as John & Ruth WILSON.   Her
husband was identified as Peter WYNNE, and it said she died in
Mecklenburg Co., VA.   Descendants of this family were in Williamson Co.,
TN and later Dyer Co., TN (adjacent to Gibson Co., TN where our WILSONs
ended up).

Sue & Charlie Wilson