VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2008

Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 14:32:54 -0400
Hello Alice in Fluvanna,

I suggest you contact whatever county or sheriff department that you are interested in
to see what help they can offer. My great grandfather was a policeman with the city
of Norfolk from 1905 to around 1930. Years back I contacted the Norfolk police
department non-emergency number and asked for personnel. I told them my great
grandfather's name and approximate date of employment then asked them if they might
have any records concerning him. They took the info and told me they would get back
in touch with me. I figured months would pass before that would happen. I was wrong
because less than an hour later the lady called me back and offered to mail me his job
application and work history. I know these aren't the type of records that you mean
but still think that calling to talk to the department of your interest would benefit your
research. It sounds like what you are looking for is the actual crime report of a CSI
nature. I can't remember the names for these records and have seen similar type
records for sale on EBay. However the ones on EBay had all the names marked
off making them useless for genealogical purposes.

Good luck in your endeavor and please share what you learn.
Vicki Ford in Chesapeake

  Hi Cousins

  Questions
  1.    Does anyone know what records were made in the late 1800's - 1930s?
  A.     Sheriff of Virginia localities
  B.     Police departments

  2.      Were they required to keep this records?  If so where were they deposited?

  3.    Was each jurisdiction/locality required to have a coroner?  If so, what government was he working for?  What would these records be called?

  Please note I am not speaking of the court records...but something that was "logged" or noted when officials went to a crime scene or were called for a dispute...

  Thanks for any help

  Alice in Fluvanna