VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2008

From:
George Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
George Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 15 Mar 2008 22:32:34 -0500
Margaret,

I suspect the reference to the "Kerr's Old Stone Church" are about the Old
Stone Church built in the 1740s referenced below in the Bell family
manuscript
(http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~stonechurchbells/Bell%20Manuscript
.rtf) which I have provided a couple of quotes from below.

"Samuel Bell - Born around 1724 - Died June 1803 - Married around 1753
Eliza Jane Holmes - Born 1728 - Died ? - 12 Children
It is believed that he was born in Ireland and came to America with his
father. He lived on a farm at the mouth of Christian Creek, Augusta, VA
until 17 Feb 1761, when he conveyed this 300 acre tract to James Kerr, and
purchased from Samuel Givens and wife a tract of 159 acres on Middle river
at Mt. Meridian where he lived until his death"

"Joseph Bell (B1-15) inherited his father's home place and is said to have
lived near the present US South route 11, 4 miles north of Staunton, VA. His
grave and that of his wife are in the Old Cemetery near the Old Stone Church
which his father helped build, and of which he was an elder."

I don't think the name was "Kerr's Old Stone Church" but only indicated the
Kerr association with the church. However I may be completely off base.

See also:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~tqpeiffer/Documents/Surnames/MMPS/K
err/KERR%20Webpage%20MMPS.htm
 for Kerr history in early Augusta County. By the time the Kerr family made
it to Mississippi it had become Carr!

George Stuart
Smith Co., MS