VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2008

From:
Margaret Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Margaret Beckwith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 15:09:49 -0400
 Margaret Beckwith - Mar 11, 2008     Thank you, Terrie, for adding BURNER!

                  As the Burner family is one of my direct lines of
ancestry, I am most anxious to add to any information I already have.
According to records of what I now call the Pendleton section of Highland
County, VA, the Burners were among the early settlers and came from Germany.
The surname is listed among the Highland County "extinct families".

                  The Pioneer & American progenitor, Joseph Burner
(according to the "History of Frederick County, MD"), was born in the city
of Manheim in Upper Germany.   He emigrated to the Colonies & settled on
Carrols Creek, near present day city of Frederick, MD in 1726.   He had a
hunting cabin near Brandywine (Pendleton County) about 1745.

                  Joseph's son, Abraham (1757-1827) and his wife, Mary
Magdaline Hull, daughter of Adam Hull, son of Capt. Peter Hull, were my next
grandparents.   As a matter of fact, Mary's sister Margaret married Adam
Arbogast (son of Michael Arbogast) near Hevener's Store in Highland County,
VA and they were my grandparents on another direct line of my ancestors.
Adam Arbogast (who lived to be nearly 100 years old) & Margaret "Peggy" Hull
came to the head of the Greenbrier River, near Travellers Repose in 1796 and
built ahome in the primitive forest and reared their family.     They had 4
sons:   Benjamin, William, Adam & Jacob and 5 daughter:   Susan, Elizabeth,
Mary, Barbara & Catherine.   Barbara & Catherine both died in their youth.
Their place was later occupied by Paul McNeel Yeager (according to the
"History of Pocahontas County").   Abraham was the first white man to build
a hut and establish a home in Pendleton County, VA.   He relocated to
Pocahontas County in 1794, where he owned a mill.   Burner's Mountain (near
Bartow) in that county was named for him.   He also owned a couple of other
businesses there such as a hotel that bore his name.

                  Abraham's son, Jacob (1799 - 1889), who married Keziah
Stump (born in what is now the eastern panhandle of WV and whom I'm having
trouble finding her ancestors), was my next grandfather.   Jacob's siblings
were:   Mary (m. George Graham); Elizabeth (m. John Graham); George (m.
Sarah Warwick in 1821); Adam (m. Margaret Gillespie); Henry (m. Eleanor
Curry in 1817) and Daniel (m. Jane Gillespie).   Both Henry & Daniel drowned
in a deep eddy in the East Fork of the Greenbrier River at harvest time at
Peter Yeager's.

                  Jacob's son, Morgan Hull Burner (1823 - 1890), was married
to Sarah Ann Baker.   They were my g-g-g grandparents Burner.   I have been
trying to find out the ancestors of Sarah Ann Baker.

                  Morgan Hull Burner's son, Morgan L. (1860 - 1943), was my
g-g-grandfather in the Burner line.   His daugher, Mary Elizabeth Burner,
married my paternal g-grandfather, William Bailey Kerr.   They lived in
Barbour County.   Their son, Orville Erry Kerr was my grandfather and he
married Jessie Lucy Louk.   Jessie's parents were John & Frances (Helmick)
Louk.   Her grandparents were William & Minerva (Teter) Sponaugle.   William
is a direct descendant of Balsor Sponaugle, who settled at the Hunting
Ground in Pendleton County, VA.

                  The Kerr Family that came into what is now West Virginia
was led by Daniel Kerr (1764 - 1837), who moved to Pocahontas County after
the Revolutionary War from Rockbridge County, VA.   Daniel Kerr (as quoted
from the "History of Pocahontas County") was a worthy and useful pioneer of
upper Pocahontas County.   He owned an immense estate.   He also owned a
mill, sawmill & blacksmith shop on the Little Back Creek branch of Deer
Creek.   His place became a centre of industry for a wide region.   Daniel
and his 1st wife (Polly Kirkpatrick (1764 - 1810) of Anthonys Creek, m. in
1790) had five sons:   Robert, John, William, Thomas & James.   Daniel
Kerr's brother, Robert Kerr, who married Elizabeth Bailey in 1763 was my
next grandfather Kerr.   Daniel & Robert's father was my first American
progenitor:   Robert Kerr (1720 - 1808) served in Captain Chamber's Company,
Col. Moses Hazen's Regiment of the Continental Troops.   He was born in
Scotland and died in Augusta County, VA.

                  I am proud that my roots are here in this area.   I give
all credit to my ancestors who must have endured a lot to even survive!
They have given me the incentive to honor them with recording their history
and their lives.