VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2006

From:
Beth Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2006 07:30:47 EST
I have no wish to join the Jefferson-Hemings discussion, but I did want to
respond to the recent post by Elizabeth Shown Mills.

While we have all enjoyed her genealogical guide books and some have been
privileged to hear her speak, perhaps others may not be aware that she has
written a wonderful historical novel.

I am captivated by Isle of Canes ... "the epic account of a multi-racial
family in Louisiana that, over four generations and more than 150 years, rose from
the chains of slavery to rule the Isle of Canes...a gripping tale of racial
conflict, economic ruin, and family pride told against the backdrop of colonial
and antebellum Louisiana."

If this is how you intend to spend your "retirement," Mrs. Mills, then we
will ALL be the richer for it!

Beth Maxwell
Newport News, VA

Be careful about reading health books.  You may die of a misprint.
            - Mark Twain