VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2005

Date:
Wed, 14 Sep 2005 16:12:36 EDT
I have been working on My Compton family for many years longer than I wish to
admit. I know mine from immigrant to where I cut off from them in Maryland.
But because people see my name in various places, such as other peoples web
sites, to whom I have never corresponded, they will write me.

So recently I have been trying to help a   man who is trying to tie on to my
line but I can see no connection. His ended up in Tazewell Co, Va. Similar
names so there must be some connectionbut by the time he finds his in Tazewell
Co, Va. mine were already in Ky. My first John Compton was in Md. and got land
there in 1664. In the 5th generation of mine, it was a "she" so lost the line
as she and her husband moved to Ky in 1796.

What I am asking of my dear Virginia friends is whether any of you have
Comptons in Tazewell Co. Read the below. I do know that a son or 2 of one of my
ancestors moved from Maryland to Virginia . One of sons of Mathew Compton and
wife Rachel Howard, -Zachariah-moved to Culpeper Co and d. there ca 1790. His
brother Mathew III also died there. I do not know if any of the other siblings of
these 2 did as well.

The below are are notes this man sent me of info he had gathered. I am not
sure if he has proof of lots of it or not

 The John Compton’s of my line, who were father and son, arrived in Tazewell
County Virginia around 1790.  I don’t have firm birth dates, but I know the
son died in 1828 and left a will and had adult children, so one could surmise he
was born 50 to 75 years earlier and his father 20 to 40 years before that.  I
have solid evidence of their existence and of all the generations that
followed them.

 What I don’t know is anything about their origins.  I can’t link them to
any of the other Compton lines I know of.  I was hoping that you would be able
to reveal something about the progeny of the lines you mentioned.  The child,
John, of the John I you mentioned is a possibility, but as it is, I can’t rule
in him in or out.  The name and era fit, but that’s about all.

 John Compton, Jr. died in 1828 – I have transcript of his will – so this
could not have been him.  It could have been his father, also named John who
first showed up in Tazewell County Virginia before 1790.  There was a Samuel
there at that time that could have been his brother.

 Whoops, I meant Loudoun (correct spelling) County, Virginia, and I do have a
copy of two deeds from there, one where John Compton was grantee, and the
second where he was grantor and wife “Eleanor” also signed.  Because women had
dower rights then, they often signed the deeds to release the dower rights.
Although the deed was for Loudoun County, Compton’s domicile was shown as
Frederick County, Maryland.  I got the deeds directly from the Loudoun County
courthouse in Leesburg, Virginia .  I have scanned copies, if you would like them.
In fact, I’m pretty sure I sent them already; I remember explaining that
Compton had a life estate per autre vie (for the life of others).

 Also, I’ve been to the Frederick County courthouse several times.  I think I
sent you a record of all the Compton related land and marriage records I
found there. I’ll attach it again, just in case.

 Probate Records 1635-77:  John Compton & Eleanor accts 1769 Fred.Co L 63 f
79

Do any of you have any connection to any Compton's in Va. of this that could
help my friend? Are any of you in Tazewell Co, that could check out their recor
ds for Comptons?

This would be grateflly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sarah Browder in TX