VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2005

From:
"Gary R. Good" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Gary R. Good
Date:
Tue, 14 Jun 2005 13:26:34 -0400
I have a question about the lagal ages for females in the 1790 time period.

A man dies in early 1793 and his wife married for the second time in
November 1793.  The second husband is appointed Administrator of the estate
of the first husband.  In Jan., 1799 the Administrator files the final
papers at the court in Westmoreland County.

Among the expenses that he charged against the estate was the sum of
ten pounds per year, per child, for "board and clothing".

The itemized list read as follows:

Elizabeth for years 1794, '95.     ( She married in 1801)
Frances for years   1794, '95'96.  ( She married in 1805)
Eleanor for years   1794, '95, '96, '97, '98.  ( She married in 1810)

Since marriage was not the reason for dropping them from the estate, I am
guessing it was because the reached a certain age.  Just trying to figure
out what the age of these girls was and thus, what was their birth year.

Thanks for any help.

Gary