VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2005

From:
Marie McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Marie McKinney <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Jun 2005 18:47:28 -0400
After researching my line full time for nearly 3 years, I have compiled
significant and compelling documentation for that line back to 1752.
However, I am battling one problem within the fabric of that research
which continues to nag at me, & I would like any comments and suggestions
you might offer.  First, there are 4 "George Akers McKinney"s in my line.
The 1st was my great grandfather's brother (therefore, my grandfather's
and his 1/2 brother's uncle).  My granfather's name was Joel Peyton
McKinney, and Joel's 1/2 brother was named after the uncle, George Akers
McKinney.  In the original George Akers McKinney's probate (1944), funds
were left to both Joel Peyton McKinney and 1/2 brother George Akers
McKinney.  The problem lies in that 1/2 brother George identified Joel to
the administrator as "Joel Charles McKinney".  The problem compounds when
Joel intentionally signed for the money as "Joel C. McKinney".  The
address for "Joel Charles McKinney" matches a known address at the time
for Joel Peyton McKinney.  Further, documentation has been found showing
that both Joel and George Akers McKinney lived at the same address at
different times in a period of less than 1 year (this in St. Louis, which
at the time had a population of about 1,000,000).  I have had people try
to suggest that Joel Peyton McKinney and Joel Charles McKinney are
different people, and that perhaps Joel Peyton and George Akers McKinney
might not have been brothers at all.

Thank you,

Marie McKinney