VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2005

From:
Steve and Bunny <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Steve and Bunny <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Feb 2005 00:26:02 -0500
We have some copies of the Amelia County tithe lists that we made a couple of years ago. We posted a few of them in the past. Well, now we are uploading all of the tithe lists that we have. The Family History Center's microfilm copier broke down before I could finish copying the entire microfilm and the film was sent back. They eventually replaced the copier with a microfilm scanner/printer but it's only b/w and the scans are horrible. We ended up devising a way to scan the actual microfilm so we could get more lists copied. We will be replacing all these posted tithe lists images with actual scans, and they will be much better. The lists can be found on our tax list website in the County Tax List Table as a link under the Amelia County name, labeled "Colonial Lists", or you can find the lists at:

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~vataxlists/Amelia/

You will find tithe lists for the years 1736-1755, 1762 and partial 1779. There is also a "Preface Tith" folder that contains microfilm images of typed discriptions of the lists found on the microfilm (this will be uploaded tomorrow). There are NO indexes. The filenames represent the list number and the image. For example, "02a.jpg" is the 2nd list for that year, the 1st image. "05d.jpg" is the 5th list for that year, the 4th image. We split up the actual pages into several images when we copied them. It made the copies more readable.

Some of these images are really good, and some of them are really lousy. The copier was really tempermental when we were doing these lists. Some of the images are big so please be patient. We hope that you find these useful.

Steve and Bunny
1790 / 1800 County Tax Lists of Virginia
http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~ysbinns/vataxlists/index.htm