VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2001

Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 20:32:55 -0600
Janet Hunter wrote:
<I believe that at one time I found a website that was assembling a
database of slaves mentioned in various deeds, inventories and other
records.   I
have been unsuccessful in relocating it, however.  I know there is a
University
in Mississippi that is collecting related information, but it didn't appear
to be a database.>

The major site for African-American research is Afrigeneas at
http://www.afrigeneas.com/. Its slave data, offered as abstracts, is much
better than a database because free-form abstracts can include much detail
that databases, with severely limited fields, have to omit.

Elizabeth Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FASG
Editor, National Genealogical Society Quarterly