VA-ROOTS Archives

November 2001

Date:
Thu, 15 Nov 2001 12:20:00 EST
I am looking for the Parent's ans Sibling's of my GGG Grandfather Alonzo
FORD, b. 1820 in Mason (?) Co., VA.

I have a Deed written in 1827 which states that the Howell LEWIS estate,
Robert P. LEWIS, George LEWIS, Joseph LOVELL (Husband of Betty Washington
LEWIS), Robert HEREFORD (husband of Virginia LEWIS), Ellen Lewis STEELE
(widow of Robert STEELE) and Howell LEWIS, JR. sell 150 acres of land on the
Kanawha River in Mason Co., VA to Richard FORD for $1.

I believe Richard FORD is my GGGG Grandfather, and f/o Alonzo B. FORD, my GGG
Grandfather, b. 1820 in Mason Co., VA, Emily, b. ~ 1811, Aldridge, b. ~ 1815,
William, b. ~ 1817, Marshall, b. ~ 1817 and Mary Ann (?), b. ~ 1820. Since
this Deed says that the Howell LEWIS, SR. family sells the Land for $1 it is
a possibility that Richard's Wife may be a part of this LEWIS family.

Richard died in 1828, intestate, and his Estate leaves his Wife, and each of
the Children mentioned above, an interest in the 150 acres of land, also
mentioned in the Deed above. Richard FORD's Estate sells its interest in
1832, Emily sells her interest in 1832, Aldridge in 1836 and William &
Marshall in 1838, to a Samuel SUMMERS, in Kanawha Co., VA. Samuel is married
to an Eliza FORD (perhaps a Sister to Richard or Richard's Wife) in 1827 in
Mason Co. Alonzo obtains an interest to the land from a Mary Ann FORD in
1842, who has married a John ESLEMAN and lives in Illinois (I believe this is
either Richard FORD's Wife who has remarried and relocated, or his youngest
Daughter). Alonzo pays $100 for Mary Ann & John's interest in the land (the
150 acres) and sells 46 acres on the Kanawha River to a John MAYS in 1843 for
$475 ( This property boarders Mr. MAYS property on the River). I believe this
is the land that Mary Ann was left. I believe the Children are selling their
interests in the land when they become of age (18/21 ?).

Richard FORD was in the 1820 VA Census in Mason Co. with four males under 10
and he was older than 45. He had a female under 10 in the HH, one 10-15 and
his Wife I assume, 26-44.

Emily FORD, Richard's Daughter mentioned above, was married to a John
CAMPBELL in Kanawha Co., VA in 1833, his second marriage. In the VA Census in
1830 in Kanawha Co. the John CAMPBELL household has a female 20 - 29, perhaps
Emily, and a 5-9 year old male, perhaps my Alonzo, as well as a 30 - 39 Male,
most likely John CAMPBELL. There are also two females less than 5 and one
male less than 5 (maybe from John's first marriage to a Cynthia FUQUA). John &
 Emily moved to Montgomery Co., VA and then Illinois, and were there in the
1840 Illinois Census. Mary Ann FORD, mentioned above and either a Daughter or
Wife of Richard FORD, married to John ESLEMAN, is also in Illinois in 1842.

Howell LEWIS, SR. was b. in 1771 in Culpeper Co., VA. He died in Kanawha Co.,
VA in 1822. He purchased this land in 1808. Perhaps Richard FORD married a
Cousin/Sister of Howell LEWIS, SR. (I have a listing of his Sisters and there
doesn't seem to be a good candidate. Richard FORD's Wife is 26-44 in the 1820
VA Census in Mason Co., while Richard is greater than 44).

Would greatly appreciate any help and advice. Thank you.

Tim Spradling