VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2001

From:
Janet Hunter <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 21:51:03 EDT
In a message dated 4/17/01 9:06:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<<
 I am delighted to announce that, with the sponsorship of the
 Library of Virginia, the transcription of the Southam Parish
 Vestry Book 1745-1792 is underway.

Hello Again Ann,

As you'll recall you and I discussed your transcription earlier when you were
about half way finished (and you LVA folks will be happy to know she resisted
all my best efforts to worm any portion of her work out of her in advance;
even my argument that ancestor John Hyde Saunders, Jr. was the Parish'
minister for some 20 years didn't work).

You mentioned the processioning records, but could you comment on your
feeling on the completeness (diligence of recorders and readibility, etc.) of
both birth/death/marriage records, and accounts of payments and all that sort
of thing found in parish records?

Also, is there any projected timetable for publishing? Cost?  Might a portion
of it (ie, the districts drawn from the processioning records) be made
available before the entire project is completed?  If my questions are out of
line, please accept my apologies, but I have lots of folks there at that
time, my children have paternal lines as well, including a couple of
mysteries, and I'm anxious.

And to LVA staff on the list, my impression from your online catalog is that
all of the copies of the quite lengthy Southam Parish register at LVA are
covered by Accession Nos, and therefore viewable ONLY (I have been told) in
the manuscripts reading room, where copies are limited to 25 per visit, and I
would need to consider a small bank loan to have copies made of the rest.  Am
I wrong?  Is there a copy of the Southam Parish register one can read and
copy at the regular microfilm area?

Best Regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter