VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2001

From:
Jo Ann Gile <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jo Ann Gile <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:29:25 -0500
People should rejoice for having the LDS library and learn to use it
correctly.  I have found out many years ago that the files served as a
tool for gathering clues.  For instance if the person I was
researching was John Doe born in 1850, I would search all John Does
born 1845-1855.  Than I would compare the claimed place of birth, the
name of the wife, the children and gather this information and go
directly to the Federal Archives and search those states  I feel you
would be surprised to find how much you learn about John Doe.  I have
found many forefathers in this manner.  The LDS is just a tool to
gather information on names, place of birth, place of death and maybe
parents names.  If most of the search resulted in stating John Doe was
born in Va. or Ky. these two states would be a good place to start
researching your census film.  I have had excellent results.

Good luck and continue to search.
Jo Ann