VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2001

From:
Sharon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Sharon Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Apr 2001 16:04:33 -0500
Hello,

Does anyone have any information at all on these folks?  I'm beginning
to wonder if my JOSEPH GILMORE might be one of their children.

A dear distant cousin went to the Clayton Library in Houston yesterday
and copied some Gilmore information for me.  She scanned it and sent it
to me today, so there may be some scanning errors.  Here is one of the
items she sent:

pp. 231-233   THIS INDENTURE made this sixth day of September one
thousand seven hundred and sixty two Between HENRY CARTER of the Parish
of Prince Ann in the County of Albemarle of the one part and JACOB
CLEAVELAND of the aforesaid Parish & County Witnesseth that for the sum
of eleven pounds current money to him in hand paid (Henry Carter) doth
sell unto Jacob Cleaveland his heirs one certain parcel of land
containing seventy acres lying on the Branches of the South Fork of
Hardware River in the Parish & County aforesaid bounded Beginning at
Pointers in JOHN GILMORE line and running new lines North & West
crossing a branch to a chesnut South &West to a red oak South &East to
pointers North & East crossing the North & South Fork of Mettle Branch
to a red oak and North twenty and an half degrees East with said JOHN
GILMOREs line eighty poles to the first station.
Presence JOHN FOSTER, Henry Carter
ELI CLEVELAND, JOHN HENSLEE
At a Court held for Albemarle County the ixth day of September 1762 This
Indenture Memorandum & receipt were acknowledged by Henry Carter party
thereto and ordered to be recorded.

***

In a deed of gift to his son, Joseph described his land as:  he lying on
the North and East of the public road leading from Rock Fish Gap to the
Town of Warren on James River.

His wife, Frances EUBANK GILMORE, was the daughter of Hannah and John
EUBANK.  In Rev. Woods' book, History of Albemarle Co., there is a
write-up on John Eubank:  "Families of the Eubank name have lived along
the south fork of Harware from the earliest times.  They sprang from two
brothers, George and John.  It is believed they came from Orange
County."

Frances and Joseph's daughter, Elizabeth GILMORE, married John
WEATHERRED, whose mother was Agnes SUDDARTH, daughter of Patience SUMTER
and James SUDDARTH.  Rev. Woods states:  "William and James Suddarth
were early settlers in the county.  They were undoubtedly brothers.
They and their descendants were located on the south fork of Hardware
between the Cross Roads and Covesville."

I may be wrong, but it sounds to me as if Jane HEARD and John GILMORE
lived near the Suddarths and the EUBANKs, which was also where Joseph
GILMORE lived.  This makes me think that perhaps Joseph was their son.
I cannot find any other GILMORE in Albemarle Co. during that period.
There were GILMERs, but no GILMOREs.

If anyone has any information on Jane HEARD and John GILMORE, would you
please share it with me.  I'll be happy to share what I have.

Thanks, and have a great weekend.

Sharon Clark
Fort Worth, TX