VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2001

Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 18:47:47 -0600
I am also interested in this couple, Margaret BERNARD and Daniel GAINES,
because of the PRYOR connection.  There is an article on the
BERNARD-GAINES-PRYOR family in "The Huguenot," Publication No. 13,
1945-1947 published by The Huguenot Society that was contributed by Eva
Pryor Jackson (pp. 126-128).  I am not sure how accurate the information
is but here's what it has on the parents of Margaret BERNARD.

Margaret BERNARD was daughter of Francis BERNARD and Mary WOODHOUSE.  Her
siblings include

*William who was born about 1598 and came to VA in the ship "America" in
1625.  He married 1652 to Lucy, widow of Major Lewis BURRELL.  He died
before 1662.

*Sir Robert of Brampton Hall, Huntingdonshire, died 1665.

There may be others.  Perhaps Margaret was not born in 1625 but came to
America in 1625.  The same source stated that:

"Margaret BERNARD, born in England in 1600 and died after 1684, married
Daniel GAINES in Omherst 1776 [sic - typo?]."

Her children were listed as Elizabeth who married John CATLETT, Jr.;
Bernard who married Martha TAYLOR; a daughter who married John SMITH;
Mary; and Margaret.

BUT from my research and checking other sources, I also wondered about
Margaret's birth date.  In "A Pryor Family Narrative" by John Gatewood
Pryor, the author mentioned that Daniel GAINES was born about 1623 in
Wales and was in Essex Co., VA in 1650.  And that he married Margaret
BERNARD before he came to America.  I wonder if there is a generation
missing between Margaret BERNARD and Francis BERNARD who is said to be
her father.  Did her brother William marry late in 1652?  Was there a
previous marriage?  Could he be Margaret's father?

Has anyone checked birth/baptismal records for Margaret BERNARD in
England?  She might be mentioned in one of these books done on the
descendants of royal families who came to America.

I would also welcome any input about this.

Nova Lemons