VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2001

From:
Elaine Acree <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Elaine Acree <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:00:51 -0500
I am researching a 17th-18th century connection between Mary Wiggs and the
Britt family in Isle of Wight and Southampton Counties.

We are trying to document the missing generation between a grandfather and
his grandson.  We have a theory that Mary Wiggs may have been the mother of
the grandson of John Britt, Jr.

Mary was the daughter of Henry and his second wife Katherine Wiggs.
The Wiggs were Quakers.  Henry Wiggs was a carpenter and owned a 500 acre
farm.  Mary is listed as Mary Britt in her mother Katherine Wiggs (1729)
and her sister Sarah Wiggs (1732) wills in Isle of Wight County, Virginia.

One of John Britt, Jr.'s 5 known sons may have been Mary's husband.  By a
process of elimination, I believe that the son may have been John Britt,
III.
There is a documented indirect connection between John Britt, Jr.'s second
wife Susannah Bressie and the Wiggs family.  Susannah's brother Francis
Bressie married Mary Wiggs' younger sister Elizabeth Wiggs in 1713.

Very little is known about Mary Britt and John Britt, III.
Mary was born February 02, 1686/87 in Isle of Wight County.
Her date of death is unknown but must have been after July 26, 1732 when
her sister Sarah's will was written.  Mary Wiggs birth date is recorded in
Hinshaw's Encyclopedia of American Quaker Genealogy.  Unfortunately, there
is no other information listed on Mary in Hinshaw.

There is a theory floating about that Mary and John Britt, III are the
parents of John Britt IV, husband of Martha and father of 6 sons: Benjamin,
John V, Jessee, William, Henry, and James.  The 1745 Fish Pond swamp deed
which states that John Britt inherited 100 acres from his grandfather John
Britt's May 1738 will.  John Britt, Jr. was known to have owned the land
sold by his grandson.  John Britt IV died between 1777-1779.

Any information about this family would be appreciated!

Elaine Acree ([log in to unmask]).