VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2001

From:
Beverly Worsham <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Beverly Worsham <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jan 2001 11:33:19 -0500
Another geography question.  We are trying to find the location of Conley.
We know that it was a post office in Southampton Co., Va.  Patron has
postcards postmarked from there between 1910-1916.  We haven't found it on
current USGS maps, and it was not listed in 1855 gazetteer of VA and WVA. It
is listed in Gannett's Gazetteer of Virginia and West Virginia, pub. in
1904.  We think this place may have been associated with one of the lumber
company railroads that were proliferating in this area during the early
1900's, but haven't found it mentioned in any books (mostly unindexed) or
articles we have in the library. We had such a prompt response to our
question on Napkins Branch, I thought we'd try the list again for this
question.
Beverly Worsham
Rawls Library