VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2021

From:
"Deal, John" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Jun 2021 14:55:20 -0400
Looking Back, Looking Forward: The 50th Anniversary of the Virginia
Constitution
Thursday, July 1, 2021 from 3:30 PM–5:00 PM
Lecture Hall
Free, but registration required.

Limited seating is available for this special program commemorating the
50th anniversary of Virginia’s current constitution, the seventh in the
state’s history, which went into effect on July 1, 1971. Join us for a
stimulating conversation about the advances made possible by this
constitution and the work that still remains. Moderated by A. E. Dick
Howard (Warner-Booker Distinguished Professor of Law at the University of
Virginia), the panel will include Henry L. Chambers Jr. (professor of law,
University of Richmond), Catherine Ward (University of Virginia School of
Law, Class of 2022), and Brian Cannon (director of campaigns, Institute for
Political Innovation). This event will also be live-streamed—watch for
details to come.

The Library's commemoration also includes a three-day display (June 29–July
1, 2021, 10:00 AM–4:00 PM) of original copies of Virginia’s Constitutions
of 1776, 1869, 1902, and 1971 in our Pre-function Hall.

The Library is joining with others across the state this year in engaging
Virginians in thoughtful reflection about our constitution and its advances
in areas such as civil rights, local government, education, and
environmental conservation. We invite you to join the conversation about
how our constitution can help Virginians address the challenges of the 21st
century. For information about related events and online resources, visit
https://www.lva.virginia.gov/71constitution/.

Register Here
<https://www.lva.virginia.gov/public/constitution/register.php>

https://listlva.lib.va.us/archives/va-roots.html