VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2001

Date:
Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:22:53 EDT
Today I received this letter which I found very interesting!  I am sure some
of you received the same letter, but for those of you who didn't, I wanted to
share with you!

The letter is from the Elk Run Church Sire Preservation Committee:
[Stephens Episcopal Church , Cedar Run Parish
8538 Greenwich Rd.
CAtlett, VA  20119
(540)-788-4252]

"Recent discoveries at the Elk Run Church Site bring to mind that
extraordinary event in 1922 when Egyptologist Howard Carter peered into King
Tut's tomb and was asked by Lord Carnarvon, 'What can you see?' -- Cater
replies, 'Marvelous things!'

We are awed by what is being revealed at Elk Run.  You will recall that when
we took possession of the sire in 1999, it was simply a vacant lot with bits
of old brick lying about.  We had no knowledge or assurance that anything lay
below the surface, or could we be certain that the church was actually
located there.

"Since then, wonderful discoveries have been made under the direction of
volunteer archaeologist Dr. John Eddins.  Most important is the handsome
stone foundation on which the 1750's brick church stood, revealed in the form
of a Greek cross.  Moreover, in the process of removing and sifting earth, we
have retrieved original brick, plaster fragments, mails, window glass, bits
of pottery and other objects--including prehistoric Indian arrowheads!
Artifact conservation is well underway.  Most recently, and of importance, is
discovery of a burial ground adjacent to the original edifice.

"Plans for 2001 include: (1) exposure of the remainder of the church
foundation, (2) excavation within the church's interior foundation and its
exterior, (3) research on artifacts, (4) identification of burial ground
boundaries and location of graves, (5) production of maps, drawings and
photographic documentation of the site, as well as a booklet on Elk Run
village history.  An ultimate goal is the creation of a landscaped historical
park that will include an outline of the perimeter of the church, with
interpretive signs.

"At last October's dedication of the State highway marker, the Director of
Architectural History at Colonial Williamsburg, Dr. Carl R. Lounsbury,
commented in his keyote address that 'It is thanks to you and all the people
here, and may more, that we can ow bring Elk Run into the history of Colonial
churches in America.'  Needless to say, we are extremely grateful to you, our
supporters, for helping to make this possible.

..."Further details on our efforts can be found on our Web Site at
http://home.us.net/-elkrun/ ..."

The Rev. Roma W. Maycock, Rector St.Stephens Episcopal Church
Edward F. Dandar, Jr. Chairman Preservation Committee
Richard Gookin, Fund Raising Chairman

This is a letter for fundraising purposes, but I thought the info it
contained was very interesting.

Jeanne Cox