VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2001

From:
Ann Blomquist <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Ann Blomquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Apr 2001 20:53:41 -0400
Hello!

I am delighted to announce that, with the sponsorship of the
Library of Virginia, the transcription of the Southam Parish
Vestry Book 1745-1792 is underway.

This valuable record covers an extended time period as this
area changed from Goochland County to Cumberland and
Powhatan. The chronology is:
1720            St. James Parish formed from Henrico Parish
1728           Goochland County formed from Henrico County
1728-1744  Goochland Co and St. James Parish
1744           Albemarle taken from Goochland Co
"                  St. James divided into Northam, Southam,
St. Anne's
1749           Cumberland Co formed from Goochland Co
1749-1772  Cumberland Co and Southam Parish
1772           Littleton Parish taken from Southam
1777           Powhatan County formed
1777-1792 Powhatan Co and Southam Parish

The processioning records are excellent. From them, I have
been able to draw the processioning districts. Very
interesting! For the earlier years, there were 34 or more
precincts, but after Littleton was taken from Southam, the
number of precincts drops to 19. The use of old maps has
aided in determining the precincts.

The transcription has been completed, but there is still
much work to be done. But at least the project has been
started!!

Ann Blomquist
Orlando, FL