VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2008

From:
nelhatch <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 2008 12:41:43 -0600
HATCHER website: http://hatcherfamilyassn.com
HALL DNA project: http://homepages.rootsweb.com/~nhatcher/hall/HDNAtest.htm
"If you can't stand the skeletons, stay out of the closet" - Val D Greenwood

I have read the following definition of these VA Rent Rolls........

"Most of the land in the Colony of VA in 1704 was technically owned  by the Crown or king of England. Colonists paid the crown "rent" for the land they lived on."

Some questions.....

1) Were there any exemptions and, if so, what were they?

2) Did an owner pay rent on a parcel of land if he did not live on it?

3) Was land owned by "the estate of Mr. X" also taxed if the division of the estate had not yet been settled, even tho the widow may have been living on the land?

My reason for asking is that I have 2 Henry Hatchers in Henrico, both of whom "should" have owned land, yet there is only one Henry on the 1705 list. Yes, both were of age and both were alive (as far as we can determine).

Also, the list I've seen online is alphabetical. Does anyone know if the original rolls were in alpha order?

Thanks,
Nel Hatcher