VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2002

From:
Scott Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sun, 30 Jun 2002 02:40:07 -0700
The most recent posting on this subject prompts me to join the
discussion.  The poster wrote, "Only a few states are represented [in
the census images]."  I can't imagine what the poster has in mind.
Except for the 1930 census, Ancestry has images of all federal
population census years for all states (for 1930, they currently have
four states).  The images for 1790, 1800, 1810, 1820, 1830, 1840, 1850,
and 1920 are fully indexed; you enter the name you're looking for, and
you get a hyperlink to the page on which that name appears.  For 1860,
the images for five states are currently indexed.  The images for 1870
through 1910 are not yet indexed.

With a dial-up Internet connection, the interface with the images can
be quite slow, just like any graphics-intensive Web page.  But with a
cable modem, the images appear very quickly; I find it much faster than
using the microfilms.  Except when the site itself is down or when they
have a problem with a particular image or index link (both of which
occur infrequently), everything works perfectly.

Scott