VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2011

From:
Sally Phillips <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Oct 2011 14:48:47 -0700
There is a series of books called something like "Journal of the Proceedings of the Virginia House of Delegates" and "...Virginia Senate."  I used them for the Civil War era.  Whether or not they go back as far as 1780, I don't know.  I assume you can find out one way or the other on the LVA catalog.  Note that these were not records ABOUT the delegates, but virtual verbatim accounts of the proceedings.  The ones I used made for fascinating reading.
There is also a book called The General Assembly of Virginia, July 30 1619 - January 16, 1978:  A Bicentennial Register of Members, by Cynthia Miller Leonard.  That I found at my local library.  It just lists specific dates that members served.  It does not include biographies.
Frankly, I was surprised at the dearth of information about these people.
Happy Hunting,  Sally