VA-ROOTS Archives

July 2013

From:
Westview <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Jul 2013 11:37:59 -0400
Yes, at 14 a child could have input into who would be his/her guardian (subject to parish/court approval) unless a guardian had been designated in the father's will.  I have seen rare wills where the mother was actually designated as guardian but usually with a male "back-up."  Some wills are incredibly specific about guardianship, outlining in detail schooling, living arrangements, etc.  There may be cases where the guardianship arrangement by will was successfully challenged by the child or its mother but I'm not personally familiar with any.

kathy