VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2008

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Mar 2008 11:17:55 -0500
Hi, Alice.  Over the years I have found literally thousands of records, many
long forgotten, in offices of sheriffs, especially in PA and VA.

To my knowledge there was no uniformity in the rules concerning such
records, and in large measure the men who held that office determined the
care to be taken in preservation.  It also is my impression that many of the
records that were maintained were CYA, and some have remained even since the
18th-Century.

You were fortunate to have found a city/county where such were indexed; most
of those I have seen were not.

Paul
www.DrakesBooks.com

Subject: Re: [VA-ROOTS] Sheriff records

Hello Alice in Fluvanna,

I suggest you contact whatever county or sheriff department that you are
interested in
to see what help they can offer. My great grandfather was a policeman with
the city
of Norfolk from 1905 to around 1930. Years back I contacted the Norfolk
police....