VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2012

From:
Cynthia McDaniel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jan 2012 10:55:25 -0500
Thanks to the information shared here, I have just about proved that Ann
(unknown) was not a Lee.  If Richard had an unknown first wife before Anna,
his widow, it might still be possible.  But I'm going to operate on the
assumption that she is likely not a Lee.   I have her born c 1634 and
married (1) (unknown) Evans c 1648; (child Edward); (2) Thomas Sowerby, bef.
1650 (Children Mary and Thomas);  (3) James Jordan, aft 1694 (no known
children).  She issued a will as Anna Jordan on 2 Oct 1697 which was
executed on 22 Jul 1698 in Surry Co., VA (Wills and Administration of Surry
Co., VA, Elizabeth T. Davis, p. 83.

The will was witnessed by Edward Scarborough (Scarbroo in the will) and Mary
Rawlings.   Jeremiah Ellis, Se., and Robert Cortrock were executors.  It
mentions her children by each husband.

Edward is the son of William Scarborough who was hanged for participation in
Bacon's Rebellion on 6 Mar 1677 a few days before his pardon came by boat
from England.  Edward's  mother was Naomi Davis who married (1) Walter
Holdsworth on 11 Oct 1660 in Charles City Co., VA (children "Amy" Naomi and
Charles); (2) William Scarborough c 1665 (children: Edward, William, Thomas,
David, Christopher and John); (3) Thomas Tyus (Tius) between 6 March
1677-Mar 1678 in Surry (Child: John).

Edward married Ann (unknown but usually identified as Tagno in family trees
although I have seen no other "Tagno" individuals in the region.  A question
is whether she might have been Native American).  Edward and Ann's children:
John, Mary, William, Edward, Benjamin and Elizabeth.

Mary Rawlings is a daughter of Anna and Thomas Sowerby.  Mary married(1)
John Collier c 1668 (children: Thomas, John, Joseph and Mary); (2) John
Rawlings on 24 Sep 1677 in Surry Co., VA (children: John, Elizabeth,
Gregory).  Thomas Collier (a son of Mary Sowerby and John Collier) applied
as guardian for Edward Scarborough's minor children: Elizabeth and Benjamin
Scarborough.

Edward Scarborough appraised the estate of Noah Barefoot with his
step-brother, John Tyus on November 25, 1711.  On 13 Oct 1710 he witnessed
the will of Richard Hide.

On 20 February 1716, Daniel Duggard applied as next of kin to Edward
Scarborow.  He gave security to administer the estate of Edward.  John Tyus
(Edward's step-brother through his mother, Mary) and William Moss presented
themselves as securities for Daniel Duggard and Mary his wife.

On 20 Mar 1716 Daniel Duggar was appointed administrator of Edward's estate
with sureties named as Nicholas Cocke, Richard Lewis and Nicholas Davis.
Daniel Duggar married Mary Scarborough, daughter of Edward and Ann).

Does anyone know of connections from the Scarboroughs to the families of
Hide, Barefoot, Ellis, Cocke, Moss, and Lewis through any of these named
individuals?

Cynthia McDaniel