VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2001

Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 08:52:18 EST
Hello Again,

I have an ancestor, the Rev. John Hyde Saunders, Jr. of Powhatan Co VA, who
was kicked out of William and Mary College ca 1762, for an unspecified
violation of their code of behavior.  (And Wm. and Mary folks have looked to
find anything more for me).

Actually, the snippet I was sent from the Wm & Mary Quarterly indicates he
was asked to leave and he requested a formal expulsion, which he got along
with the admonission to his fellow students that they would be expelled if
they fraternized with him "on campus".

So, the record shows that he then went to England, returned to VA and became
the "Church of England" pastor of the Southam Parish in Powhatan Co (I hope I
have that corrector).  FYI, this appointment was made in Williamsburg
according to some information I found, and undoubtedly involved folks at Wm.
And Mary.  He is shown in the 1815 Powhatan Co tax records as still living at
the Glebe (only taxpayer shown thus), although his tenure had ended long
before then.  He died 1817; I have his will (courtesy of DAR supplemental
files)

Does anyone have any suggestions where I might find information on where he
would have been trained in England?

Best Regards,

Janet (Baugh) Hunter