VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
qvarizona <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Apr 2006 07:02:50 -0700
Very interesting information, Kathy; thanks for sharing an archaeologist's knowledge.  In addition to the website you listed, here's another that I found  last night.  (What    ever did we do before Google?)

  http://www.dhr.virginia.gov/home.htm

  For those too busy to check the site out, The Code of Virginia (§ 57-27.1) requires, among other things, that, "Owners of private property on which a cemetery or graves are located shall have a duty to allow ingress and egress to the cemetery or graves by (i) family members or descendants of deceased persons buried there; (ii) any cemetery plot owner; and (iii) any person engaging in genealogy research . . ." The Code does allow the property owner to designate "the frequency of access, hours and duration of the access and the access route if no traditional access route is obviously visible by a view of the property."

Scroll down to Cemetery Preservation and FAQs for more.

  Joanne

Westview <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
    As a professional archaeologist who has excavated many burials in the course of my career please let me chime in. . . .

. . . .For those interested in reading the laws regarding cemeteries, they may be found at the Code of Virginia on-line database
http://leg1.state.va.us/000/src.htm --- a very useful site for many
purposes. Search on "burials" or enter the reference number. Pertinent to
this case are:18.2-126 Violation of Sepulture. . .57-27.1 Access to cemeteries located on private property. . .