VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2010

From:
"Wilson, Donald L" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 Jun 2010 12:47:57 -0400
Ms. Davis - I see that George GLAS(S)COCK is found in each census of
Westmoreland County, 1810-1840.  Ages given in those censuses narrow his
birthdate to 1780/84.  I do not have access to any information about his
will.

You might consider the possibility that his first wife (the mother of
his children) was Frances B. BERRYMAN, whom a George GLASCOCK married by
bond dated 24 Feb. 1802, in Lancaster County.  Frances was the daughter
of Sarah BERRYMAN.  Samuel OLDHAM was security on the bond. [Stratton
Nottingham, The Marriage License Bonds of Lancaster County, Virginia,
from 1701 to 1848 (Onancock, Va: 1927; repr., Baltimore: Clearfield,
1992), 33]

I see that no one named GLAS(S)COCK was a resident of Lancaster County
in 1800 or 1810 (1800 personal property tax list, on the Binns Genealogy
website
http://www.binnsgenealogy.com/VirginiaTaxListCensuses/Lancaster/1800Pers
onal/; 1810 U.S. census), so this George GLASCOCK is otherwise
unexplained.  The U.S. census of 1810 shows only two George GLASCOCKs in
Virginia: in Westmoreland and Fauquier.  The man in Fauquier can be
eliminated:  He is over age 45, apparently the same as George GLASCOCK
(1741-1826); his wife Hannah (nee RECTOR) was still alive in 1815 (the
date of George's will, Fauquier County).  Furthermore, Fauquier is
relatively distant, while Westmoreland County is close to Lancaster,
separated only by Richmond County.

The 1810 census of Westmoreland County shows in George GLASSCOCK's
household a woman age 26-45 (probably his wife) and one over 45 (his
mother or mother-in-law?).  The 1820, 1830 and 1840 censuses show no
woman of an age to be his wife, suggesting she has died, though the
older woman is still there.  In 1840 his age is 50-60 (born 1780/90)
while the older woman is 70-80 (born 1760/70).  Those census records and
the fact that his only children were born ca. 1802 suggest that George
was a widower for many years. It appears that if he married a woman
named Margaret, it was probably after 1840.  No such marriage is found
in surviving records for the area.  Could references to Margaret
GLASSCOCK you have found refer instead to his daughter?

Frances Bushrod BERRYMAN is named as the youngest daughter in the will
of John BERRYMAN of Lancaster County, 1786.  [Ida J. Lee, Abstracts <of>
Lancaster County, Virginia, Wills, 1653-1800 (Richmond: 1959; repr.,
Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing Co., 1973), 15]

Hope this helps.

Donald L. Wilson, Virginiana Librarian,
Ruth E. Lloyd Information Center
  for Genealogy and Local History (RELIC),
Prince William Public Library System,
Bull Run Regional Library,
8051 Ashton Avenue, Manassas, VA  20110-2892
703-792-4540   www.pwcgov.org/library/relic