VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2001

Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2001 05:39:08 -0500
Fellow VA-ROOTers:

I've encountered an unusual marriage-consent note.  A transcription
appears below.  Has anyone ever seen such language before?  First, why
would both the father and the daughter sign a consent note?  If the
daughter is "of age," the father doesn't need to sign at all; right?  And
if the daughter is *not* "of age," she *cannot* sign; correct?  Second,
can I infer anything from this language re: "in the most undemnifying
Manner" (obviously a misspelling for "indemnifying")?  Might this mean
that the parties thought there could be some legal impediment to the
marriage?

Thanks very much for your thoughts.

Scott Simpson

-----------------

I Richard Dollens of Albemarle Do Certify that I Believe there is a
Marrage intended betwen my Daughter Salley Dollens of Said County and Mr
William Henderson and I and My Daughter above Named Do Join in giveing
our approbation to Said Marrage And hereby in the most undemnifying
Manner Authorize the Clerk of P. Court to give License According to Law
Whenever applied for
Given under our hands and Seals this 30th July 1811

Richard his X Mark Dollens
Salley her V Mark Dollens

Test
John Dollens