VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Sep 2005 16:38:41 -0500
It might further be added that in those inventories where any of such as tools, beds and rugs and ticking bags, chests, kettles and cookware, chairs, tables, and usually animals, are completely missing one has a clue that the inventory is but partial.  Still though, giving consideration to the fact that in most inventories few rooms have NOTHING within, I have found it not difficult to picture the structure, even the items in the dog trot and food in the "cellar".

Conversely, as you mentioned, when the inventory is extensive and includes such as pewter, guns, any jewelry, spinning wheels, books, Bibles and armor are present, one may assume that much of the entire inventory is at hand, and efforts to map the house from such lists can be highly rewarding, as I mentioned.