VA-ROOTS Archives

September 2021

From:
George Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Sep 2021 00:22:54 -0500
In rural Mississippi we called them "cotton scales"! They were mainly used to weigh the bags of cotton that each worker brought out of the field. Hired workers were paid by the pound and family usually were just expected to "work for their keep". Good cotton pickers were rated by how many pounds they could pick a day and those with high numbers were in more demand.
The "steelyards" were about a yard long with an upturnes hook on the short end and notches (for the peas) on the long end. There was a hook to hang it with about two thirds of the length and was attached so the "steelyard" could freely pivot. You hung the appropriate pea along the notches until it balanced.