VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2005

From:
clay gullatt <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
clay gullatt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 27 Jun 2005 06:14:44 -0700
I do not believe that a non-professional can mend
broken tombstones. From what I have read it just
makes everything worse. Stones are made of
difference materials and need different methods
of repair. At the very least consult with a local
monument place to see what they recommend for a
specfic type stone. Let them look at the stones
before attempting any repair most will consult
free of charge.

The best way may well be to just leave the stone
as it is, purchase a new granite stone engraved
with what is on the old stone then bury the old
stone a foot or two in the grave with the
engraving face down to protect it from the
elements and keep good records of this.

Frankly most marble stones should be replaced,
they just can not take the acid atmosphere and
rain that we now have, they are fast fading away.
This recommendation may upset some but its either
that or having a blank stone. Some of our local
old cemeteries have just blank marble stones,
they have just melted away.

Burying the old stone to protect it is being done
in some English Church yards. This was done with
the stones of some of my 1500/1600 Harper
ancestor's stones at St. Giles Church, Noke,
Oxfordshire, Eng.

Clay Gullatt
Mount Airy NC