VA-ROOTS Archives

October 2011

Date:
Thu, 27 Oct 2011 10:08:45 -0400
Dear Bruce,

I saw your post on the Va. Roots list. Could you please tell me whether you have any information on the Shelley/Shelly family, expecially Richard Harrison Shelly (c. 1804-1869), who moved there from Isle of Wight in the early 1820s? He and most of his sons were mariners on the Cheasapeake Bay and its rivers, and most eventually settled in King & Queen (his family is there by the 1840  census) and King William counties, Norfolk, or Richmond, so would have been in Nansamond only briefly, but probably married there, alas for knowing who his wife Ann was. I would love to have any scrap of information that you might have in your records concerning any early Shelley/Shellys, as I suspect that several marriages of Richard's parents generation took place there, as they are not in the remaining records of Isle of Wight, Southampton or Surry counties where I would have expected to find them.

Thank you for your assistance,

Anne Gwaltney