VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jun 2005 11:50:30 -0500
There is no all encompassing definition of "head of household".  Generally "household" legally meant/means all of those persons living under one roof - in  any "residence" - for whom there is one person who acts as "head" of that gathering of people.  The meaning of the term "head of household" is greater than that of "family", and in the censuses it means those persons who have some measure of responsibility to answer for or respond to the inquiries concerning whoever lives in his/her "house".

"Head of family" is a more restrictive title and refers to anyone of any age who has some measure of charge or answerability for others who are his kin by marriage, adoption or by affinity.  It is well known that many apprentices were viewed for taxation purposes as members of the "family", and - of course - all those who were tithable were chargeable to someone, quite usually that person who owned the land, owned the slave, or was the head of a household as mentioned above.

The information quite usually was gathered by personal interview of the householder by "enumerators" who were hired to go about collecting such data.

Since the earliest times in the English systems of govt. and land ownership, it was the prime responsibility of every owner of land to make himself known for taxation.