VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2003

Date:
Wed, 1 Jan 2003 18:36:49 EST
Ms. Hudson,

I have both volumes of the Hanover County Family Graveyards compiled by Helen
K. Yates; I purchased them from the Hanover County Historical Society, P. O.
Box 91, Hanover, VA 23069.  I have corresponded with Mrs. Yates a number of
times.  Some of her families and mine lived as neighbors in the lower
(eastern) end of the county commencing in the 17th century.  My families in
particular are Via, Peace and Turner.  Their lands were along present Route
619 between Black Creek Baptist Church and Prospect Meeting House
(Methodist).  I have collected a number of books on Hanover County, and from
what I have been able to determine about the early Cross families, it appears
that they resided in the western end of the county.  I do not know if the
Historical Society continues to have copies of either of the two Yates
volumes.  Perhaps the Society has the current address of Mrs. Yates.  Members
of the Cross family (ies) mentioned in the 1995 Volume are Bazile, Edward C.,
Elise Bazile, Elizabeth, Merlotte C., Mildred Pollard, and Stanley.

Janelle Via McKown