VA-ROOTS Archives

February 2013

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Feb 2013 10:54:53 -0600
Carl....Thanks so much for the update!  I am still hoping to find the actual/full chancery case record that was associated with the apparent "chancery decree" dated 1 Jan 1822 that mentioned the deceased Maurice Smith, his son John Smith (also deceased) and the "representatives of the heirs" of that John Smith (who were other relatives).  In truth, however, I have no proof that the referenced "chancery decree" was issued in Middlesex Co., VA....but that was the long-time home of this overall Smith family.  I found that "chancery decree" (perhaps a handwritten transcription, but I am not sure) at the Virginia Historical Society a few years ago, and my notes do not make it clear as to the county of origin.  I SUSPECT that the above John Smith of Middlesex Co., VA actually died over in Essex Co., VA, but I found no chancery cases in that county at the Library of VA that seemed to "connect" to the above "chancery decree."

Bill