VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2005

From:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Paul Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Jun 2005 11:04:05 -0500
This was a request to the court for a certificate concerning and response by that court as to whether or not the woman (and the man, also) should be classified as a Negro or as Caucasian.  The court determined that she was "white" under the statute then prevailing, and thus you know that she was not greater than 1/32nd Black. That means that her most recent ancestor who could have been African was one of her triple-Great Gparents.

In those times in VA, "part Black" meant "all Black" in the eyes of the law.  If I had to guess, I would say that someone had stated that she was "Black" when she applied for or did some act that a Black was not then permitted to do.  It might be, of course, that she was so declared White by reason of a desire that she marry a white man or that she maintain a standing in the community as a "white" woman.