VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2001

Date:
Mon, 2 Apr 2001 19:50:42 EDT
Perhaps all of those interested in the related field should read Elizabeth
Shown Mills, CG, CGL, FAS article in the September 1999 Issue of the National
Genealogical Society Quarterly Working with Historical Evidence: Genealogical
Principles and Standards. Among other things Mills says "Long-unresolved
dilemmas, technological advances and the problems both cause have fires an
intense reevaluation of the principles by which the genealogical community
analyzes and evaluates evidence.  From this effort, a strong conviction
emerges: the traditional and simple division of historical materials between
"primary sources" and "secondary sources" is no longer adequate to describe
either the nature or the quality of evidence. Assuming that premise, what
kind of framework does meet the needs of historical researcher?" This quote
lays the ground work for Mills thesis.  This particular Issue of the Q is
devoted entirely to different approaches to developing Evidence. It can be
order on line from the National Genealogical Society's web page.

One of the hardest concepts for folks to grasps is the difference between
searching and researching.  Most people spend their entire lives searching
for an individual who has done the research. Hence the popularity of the
disks; sets of books with old genealogies; coats of arms and the like
continue to be marketable.

Lets look at what is good that the LDS has.  They have filmed original church
and court records that can be rented, read and some folks even transcribe and
publish them. They also have filmed some manuscript collections.  These are
good to use.  We all have experienced information compiled by great aunt
Tilly who said grand pa was such and such. And I have known people who are
still trying to stuff a person into a pedigree that just does not work.  Once
we begin to try and verify the validity of information we have, we are well
on our way to becoming a RESEARCHER and that is what makes the difference.
It puts us in control of the project and leaves the junk genealogist eating
dirt from our trail. These disk make money.  And as long as people buy them,
they will be produced.

One should ask if it is alright to share anothers work. That is ethical.  One
should also credit the person who did the work.  And I have learned the hard
way that if it is to be published in any form ask the individual to allow you
to read it first to make sure the infomation has not been altered in anyway.

And make sure your work does not end up on the scrap heap of hard disks.
Publishe it. Even if you print a few copies and donate it to your local
library.  If you make a discovery or unravel a difficult problem submit a
manuscript to one of the many publication that promote scholarship.   Margaret