VA-ROOTS Archives

June 2021

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 4 Jun 2021 11:46:38 -0700
I agree that the most likely answer is that someone, perhaps in the Clerk’s office or perhaps a volunteer, at some point tried to “preserve” a deteriorating original.  I agree with Douglas that true transcriptions should follow the original text and use the same line breaks and spellings [though I have to admit to giving up sometimes on idiosyncratic capitalization].  Unfortunately, past transcribers tended to simply “convert” the document with spelling “corrections,” disregard for line length and unflaggged fill-ins.  In this situation, I think it makes sense to use your own judgment as to the probability of the gap-filling being accurate and just move forward with your own transcription.  Good transcriptions are always easier to work with than original, because they become computer-searchable.

Jack Fallin