VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2001

From:
"David M. Goodman" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
David M. Goodman
Date:
Sat, 28 Apr 2001 22:04:17 -0400
Nancy, DAVENPORT and GOODMAN Researchers,
You know, your message made me do a lot of rethinking and document reading
:-) which is good for my circulation.
I am beginning to think that Zachariah Goodman only married once to
Elizabeth Moss Ballou and that Elizabeth McNamar, daughter of David
Davenport is not in my line at all.
But if we look at this, Elizabeth Moss Ballou was first married to William
Terry Davenport and her first child (William B. Davenport) was born 18
October 1800 and her last child (total of 8), was born somewhere around 1825
maybe. That is a lot of children and a long time span. She would have been
around 43 at the time of birth of her last child. ??????? Unless I have her
birth date of Bet. 1780 - 1790 wrong which was estimated from the  Census of
Cumberland Co., VA: 1830 Page #: 192
Some facts to support my new theory are:
Will of William B. Davenport
Cumberland Co., VA 27Dec1823 WB7, p255
...Land by which Zachariah Goodman holds by my fathers will to be sold at
the death of my mother. My father-in-law, Noton Goodman....

2 May 1805 (Cumb.Co. DB10) Elizabeth M. Davenport of Cumb. Co. (and legatee
of the estate of Charles Ballow dec'd.) sell to Francis Newton Ford of same
land on Appomattox River cont. 41 ac.  part of a tract formerly the property
of Charles Ballow dec'd..now occupied by William Taylor adj. Charles Ballow,
orphan of Charles Ballow dec'd., Appomattox River, Mrs. Ballow relict of
William Ballow dec;d., being No. 1 in the division of lands of the estate of
Charles Ballow dec'd.

Will of William Terry Davenport Cumberland Co., VA. 11jun1803 WB 3, p30
To wife Elizabeth N. Davenport all personal estate......and all I shall
receive from my father Wm. Davenport's estate, at her death to be divided
equally among my children... Wit: Charles Ballou,...Elizabeth
Ballou,....Stephen Davenport

28 Jan 1803 (Cumb. Co. OB p. 354)  William T. Devenport and Elizabeth his
wife who was Elizabeth Moss Ballew daughter of Charles Ballow dec'd. agst.
William Taylor guardian of William Henry Ballow, Sally H. Ballow and Charles
Ballow infant children of Charles Ballow de'cd..cause heard
15 Mar 1803..allot shares in 158 ac., 2/3 part of a tract belonging to
estate of Charles Ballow exclusive of 59 ac. already laid off to the
late widow of sd. Ballow at present the wife of William Taylor.and
report to court.

Will of William Davenport
10 Jul 1792 Cumberland Co., VA WB 3, p9
After death of wife.....three sons.....William Terry Davenport.....and 3
daughters Elizabeth Smith Ballou...EXRS: ...Wm. Ballou...

If anyone can offer an opinion on this, one way or another, I would be most
appreciative.
If you all agree, I am going to have to re-do my line, which means another
trip to Virginia (Cumberland Co), hey...another excuss..er..reason to travel
to the old country...:-)
Dave Goodman

Baltimore PC Users Group
http://www.baltimorepcug.org