VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2006

From:
Wayne Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Wayne Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Apr 2006 20:21:23 -0400
Re the mention of reliability of data from a headstone, I've got a very good
example.

A little over two years ago, my mother passed away at the age of 91.  As my
brothers and I were tending to funeral arangements, we discovered a "slight"
discrepancy in several documents -- and what we had believed for years.

Mom's social security information had her birthdate as Nov. 20th, 1912,
which is what we had celebrated for 40+ years.  Then a copy of her birth
certificate was located that had a date of birth of Nov. 13th, 1912.  We
worried about what to put on the headstone for a while, then finally decided
to use the date we had always celebrated.    I went to an uncle on my
fathers side who also had the Nov. 20th birthdate and he said as far back as
he could remember, my mothers birthday was the 20th.   My mother had an
older sister that had a birthday of Nov. 13th, so I guess it is possible
that somewhere along the line, in my mothers childhood, someone decided to
celebrate my mothers birthday a week later!

Normally you would expect the birth certificate to be accurate -- but I have
another case where one has a wrong name.

Wayne