VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2001

From:
"Mary M. Zashin" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Mary M. Zashin
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 01:11:13 -0500
I am very confused, and hope someone on this list with more genealogical
experience than I have can untangle me.  Much information on the internet
claims that Margaret BERNARD, b. abt. 1625, was a child of Francis BERNARD
(b. 1558, d. Nov. 21, 1630) and his wife, Mary WOOLHOUSE (b. abt. 1560), of
Kingsthorpe, Northamptonshire, England. A look at her DOB raises serious
doubts as to the accuracy of this connection, especially when Francis and
Mary's well-known son, William BERNARD (m. Lucy HIGGINSON), has a birth
date of 1603. This couple seems much too old to have been Margaret's
parents, and in fact some published lists of their children that I have
seen do not include a Margaret. Does anyone have knowledge of where to find
proof that she is a child of this family, or, alternatively, other
information about her possible parentage? [NB: Margaret married Daniel
GAINES (1614-1682) abt. 1649; some say in VA, others say in England. One of
Margaret and Daniel's children married a ROWZEE--but there are also many
suggestions that Margaret herself was a widow ROWZEE before she married
Daniel. If she was, that would be a further indication that Margaret is not
connected to the Northamptonshire BERNARDS, as the ROWZEEs, along with the
CATLETTS, were, I believe, from Kent.]  The whole issue seems very
confused, and any assistance or pointers will be much appreciated. Polly
Zashin