VA-ROOTS Archives

August 2002

From:
Jim Greve <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jim Greve <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 2002 13:06:05 -0400
Oldest son named after the Father's father
2nd son named after the Mother's father
3rd son named after the Father
4th son named after the Father's oldest brother

Oldest daughter named after the Mother's mother
2nd daughter named after the Father's mother
3rd daughter named after the Mother
4th daughter named after the Mother's oldest sister

2nd wife's oldest daughter named after the first wife, using her full name

OR CHECK OUT THIS SITE:

http://www.kerchner.com/germname.htm

This is from another site:

In 18th & 19th Century Britain families generally tended to name their
children in a specific pattern as follows:

Males

First-born Son - father's father

Second-born Son - mother's father

Third-born Son - father

Fourth-born Son - father's eldest brother

Fifth-born Son - father's 2nd oldest brother or mother's oldest brother

Females

First-born Daughter - mother's mother

Second-born Daughter - father's mother

Third-born Daughter - mother

Fourth-born Daughter - mother's eldest sister

Fifth-born Daughter - mother's 2nd oldest sister or father's oldest sister

Jim Greve
Archivist
The Library of Virginia
800 E. Broad Street