VA-ROOTS Archives

April 2001

From:
Lou Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lou Poole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:43:03 -0500
To Carolyn's eyesight explanation (which is a good one), I'll add
another possibility: severe arthritis of the hand, for which there was
also no treatment.

Maybe there are other possibilities, but I do know that I have one
ancestor who regularly signed his court records until very late in
life, when he started using a mark.  So just because someone signed
with a mark did not always mean that they were illiterate.

Lou