VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2008

From:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Bill Davidson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Mar 2008 19:48:40 -0400
Margaret.

The link below is to a webpage (prepared by one of my relatives) that is
dedicated to Ruth (Stump) Davidson, who was originally from West VA.  Ruth
moved to Buckingham Co., VA, and she eventually married one of my Davidson
relatives there.  I would assume that she was somehow related to your Stumps
in West VA.  Unfortunately, I do not know anything more about her "Stump
lineage" than what is shown in this link.

http://www.geocities.com/banjo_23055/memorial/Ruth_Davidson.html

There was an area in Augusta/Rockbridge Co., VA that was (is?) known as
Kerr's Creek.  Perhaps this area was named for your Kerr family who lived in
Rockbridge at one time.  There was a Davidson/Davison family that lived in
that area, as well as another Davidson/Davison family that lived in the
nearby Collier's Creek area.  A branch of what appears to have part of my
own Davidson family also moved to the Rockbridge area (headed by a William
Davidson).  At present, there is no proof that these three Davidson/Davison
families in Rockbridge in the 1700s were related (though two of these
Davidson/Davison families did intermarry on two known occasions).

The William Davidson mentioned above was married to a Martha Baker (born
circa-1750).  Martha was from Prince Edward Co., VA and her husband William
was apparently from Buckingham Co., VA.  They moved to Botetourt Co., VA
around 1774, and their land there became part of Rockbridge Co., VA in 1778
(when that county was created from portions of Botetourt and Augusta Co,
VA).  This Baker family had come to the Amelia/Prince Edward Co., VA area
from PA.  I have no idea, however, if this Baker family was related to your
Baker family.

Best regards,

Bill Davidson