VA-ROOTS Archives

January 2001

From:
Netti Schreiner-Yantis <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Netti Schreiner-Yantis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:57:01 -0500
Alice,

Yes, the Buckingham lists (both land & personal property)
start before 1869--much before.

I do not have a list of which ones are available, but they
should start in 1782.  A few lists are missing for almost
every county, but on the whole each is complete.  As I
remember, the county with the most loss is Nansemond
which starts with the 1815 Personal Property.

The fires that effected so many Virginia Counties did not
destroy the personal property lists as they had sent a
copy to the state auditor and that is the ones now at the
state library.  The law required four lists to be made:
1. For the tax commissioner so he could use it the next
year or pass it on to whoever took over 2. For the sheriff
as he collected the taxes from it.   3). To be kept at the
courthouse for inspection by other taxpayers--who could
receive a bounty for reporting any neighbors who had
cheated on their reporting. 4). To state auditor.

These lists have been microfilmed and are available through
library loan.  I believe out-of-staters can now get them;
for a time only state residents could.

Netti Schreiner-Yantis