VA-ROOTS Archives

March 2007

From:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Jack Fallin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 9 Mar 2007 22:36:36 -0800
Dear List,

It has occurred to me that, as a purely bureaucratic matter, each
County's Freedman's Bureau must have made some sort of list of their
"client" freed slaves after the War.  If so, it could be
extraordinarily valuable in African-American research, because it
would list surnames when they were still "new."  I have recently
heard that work is being done on pulling together Freedman's Bureau
information (I may have seen it in a message here), but I do not know
how comprehensive the work will be.  Does anyone have more specific
information on this project?

Jack Fallin
Walnut Creek, CA